I’m a science fiction writer, represented by Monica Pacheco of Anne McDermid & Associates. My debut novel vN is available from Angry Robot Books. It’s the first in a series called The Machine Dynasty, about self-replicating humanoids, Rapture sects, giant squids, and fast food. Here are some reviews. The second in the series, iD, is also available from Angry Robot Books. At the moment, I am working on the third and final book of the series, Rev.
At the tail-end of 2014, I signed a two-book deal with Tor Books, including my standalone novel Company Town. My following book with Tor has yet to be written.
In 2015, I plan to co-edit an un-authorized anthology of James Bond stories with my partner David Nickle, called Licence Expired. Ian Fleming’s Bond novels and stories have entered the public domain in Canada, and we are partnering with Canadian indepedent publisher ChiZine Publications to bring forward a collection of new Bond stories from new perspectives.
Listed below are the stories of mine that other people have published. Some of them are free. They are listed chronologically, so the most recent publications will be at the bottom of this page. I hope that you enjoy them.
- “In Which Joe and Laurie Save Rock n’ Roll” Tesseracts Eleven (Honourable Mention, Year’s Best Science Fiction 2007)
- “Fitting A New Suit” (free) FLURB #6
- “ßoyfriend” (free) WorldChanging Canada, Escape Pod
- “Off-Track Betting” (free) FLURB #7
- “The Chair” Nature
- “Milk+” (free) The Orphan #2
- “Ishin” Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic SF
- “Zombies, Condoms and Shenzhen: The Surprising Link Between the Undead and The Unborn” (free) Flurb #10
- “The Education of Junior Number 12” (free) Angry Robot Books (also available in Year’s Best SF 17 and Imaginarium 2012: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing)
- “Photographic Memory” in The Tomorrow Project: Imagining the Future and Building It
- “Social Services” in An Aura of Familiarity: The Coming Age of Networked Matter
- “Come From Away” in Upgraded
- By the Time We Get to Arizona” in The Hieroglyph Anthology
- “Memento Mori” in Meeting Infinity
I’m a columnist for the Ottawa Citizen, a PostMedia publication. You can read my columns here.